Sophomore Year Checklist
SOPHOMORE YEAR CHECKLIST:
- Complete a practice admission application.
- Set-up files - begin to assemble college information.
- Use a storage box and set up college files alphabetically (keeps all information together).
- Review progress with parents.
- Begin to identify 10-15 college programs. Consider:
- Classes/majors offered
- Soccer program
- School size
- Class size
- Distance from home
- “If I was injured my freshman year, would I still want to attend this school?”
- Begin a college contact list.
- Send your cover letter and resume to the identified coaches.
- Be prepared to have an intelligent conversation with the coach regarding his/her program, your major, why you want to attend their school, etc.
- You can call coaches, but coaches cannot call, email or approach you according to NCAA regulations.
- Plan next year’s academic program.
- Attend college night at high school gather college information brochures.
- Make sure your high school classes that you are taking will meet NCAA clearinghouse requirements. See the NCAA website and view NCAA Clearinghouse or go through your high school counselor).
- If you have not taken the PSAT, plan to do this now.
- If your goal is to play NCAA Division I or Division II soccer, register with the NCAA Eligibility Center (not applicable to Division III) the summer prior to your junior year.